Friday, October 8, 2010

J.M.S.O.W

Last night on tha Krib I tried to install a new segment at the end. I have entitled it the J.M.S.O.W or the Jersy.Mike.Smack.Of the Week. It's during this time that I vent, lash out, or tee up anyone who's pissed me off in sports.

This week, it's Jim Rome on his daily radio show. It's very well known the beef that the South Carolina Gamecocks have with the Southern Cal Trojans. What peeved me is that Rome continually refered to the Gamecocks as Southern Carolina instead of South Carolina. He suggested to prevent confusion Southern Cal be recognized as the real SC and "Southern" Carolina be recognized as SCU or "Southern Carolina University."

Now I generally have a lot of respect for Jim Rome as I do all sports anchors who are sitting where I would like to be. However I can't look past the ignorance or the arrogance of these statements. So let's examine this very carefully.

The ignorance. Obviously if you've even made past the 3rd grade you know all 50 states. So for all the education, pomp and ceremony Rome should know it's South Carolina! Not Southern Carolina. Secondly, the University opf Southern Cal was established in 1916. The University of South Carolina was established in 1801 a full century before the Trojans.

The arrogance. With these facts in mind, the west coast USC wants to be known as the "real" USC just because of a few titles and Rose bowls. While these maybe very valid points, respect your elders beach boys!

Thats all I got for you. Jim Rome I got two words for you; Shad dup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment